Changing another’s behavior is tricky. We know because we tend to resist others who try to change us.
Here’s one way that usually works, though.
- Learn what they need, want, or desire.
- Ask permission to share your insights.
- Tell them what you notice of their behavior that takes them away from what they need, want, desire.
- Brainstorm with them how they might modify their behavior to get what they want.
- Show them that you think they can do it.
In your corner,
PS: Where, you may ask, is the part about getting them to do what you want them to do? It’s right there. Help them get what they want in the context of your work together and you will see your desired results, too.