My younger son loves to ask questions. His favorite questions are ones that start, “What’s your favorite…?” These are hard questions to answer because I don’t have many favorites. Chocolate or vanilla? Love them both.
I do have a favorite word, though. My favorite word is “and.” Wherever we might be tempted to use “or” and “but,” I like using “and.”
- black and white
- I want to go to the party and I’m very tired
- strong management and healthy unions
- science and spirituality
- having a meaningful career and all the money you want
- Keynesian stimulation and Chicago-School restraint
- I want to grow my business and I don’t know how
Before you write off my love of “and” as impractical
or and silly, pause. Whenever you join two formerly opposing ideas with an “and,” you get a fresh perspective that opens possibilities. New, better solutions become available.
What would be different today if you used “and” where you have been used to using “or” and “but”?
Give it a shot and let me know what you discover.
To your continued success,